Thursday, April 22, 2010

Everything Sucks--Almost

Got news today that an event I was truly looking forward to has been pretty much ruined. The Cincinnati Opera--a few hours drive from here--created a rare and magnificent event. For their 90th anniversary, they planned to bring in the Metropolitan Opera production of Wagner's Die Meistersinger. This production, with full staging, would be conducted by none other than James Levine (Music Director of the Met) and starring Bass/Baritone James Morris as Hans Sachs. This was an historic event; something BIG. Both of these giants, two of my favorite performers, whom I have seen in recordings but never live, will probably retire long before I ever have another chance to see them. This was like a miracle. I procured tickets for me and my son. Not cheap by any means.

Today I received an e-mail that due to health issues, both Levine and Morris had to cancel their appearances. The director of the Cincinnati Opera assures us they'll find replacements, but this isn't the point, and they knew it. I know they were terribly disappointed, and it showed in their communication.

Thanks Fate. Screwed again.

There was a lot more to this blog originally, mostly wallowing self-pity about how my entire life has sucked, how it has been marked by loss, how all my friends have died, how all my frogs are dead, how I miss my books and music, etc but I deleted it because--who really wants to read all that whinging? Besides, this doloralia was spawned by crushing disappointment from the above news combined with the unholy alchemy of insomnia and painful flatulence brewed up by one of my wife's admittedly delicious but volatile dishes which one should not eat just before bedtime.

I sought comfort amongst the intellectual challenge of my piano. My formal lessons require me to work on the scales of C, G, F and A Major, and two practice pieces. i did so for a while, then pulled out Over the Rainbow and moved on to the next section.

An hour later, I forgot my problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment