Friday, March 5, 2010

I almost Die But Instead Buy

I've successfully evaded the flu all doggone winter, while all around me the disease-ridden hoards hacked, sniffled, coughed, and lurched in abject misery. Whenever it seemed as if I were about to come down with something, my iron-horse constitution fought it off almost immediately.

Well, I pushed myself too hard I guess, between cranking out four video projects and doing shows simultaneously, I caught a flu or cold which settled into my lungs and knocked me for a loop. However, I did everything that needed to be done, including keeping up with my piano practice. My passion for the ivories will not be quenched, by disease, war, la grippe or hardship.

Two days ago, my wife was so worried about me she convinced me to go to the walk-in clinic. I literally couldn't walk up the stairs to our send-floor without stopping to catch my breath. So I did, and they diagnosed me with a serious sinus and upper respiratory infection. I was given a breathing treatment and two shots in my rear end, one of which--the antibiotic--hurt and gave me a muscle cramp. However, the steroid improved my breathing and I was able to drive my son (who helps me with my video productions) back to Tennessee, where I am now, even as I type this report.

Knoxville, unlike Bloomington, which has virtually zero resources, has a plenitude of music stores, so on the mend from la grippe, I went in search of my goal, an electric keyboard with hammered keys and touch sensitivity. Guitar Center had some great sales but I had to transfer cash from savings to checking to get it, which I can' t do via ATM. So Fate (or technocratic red tape) saved me from impulse buying. However, I did go to the local used book emporium and pick up a huge stack of cool sheet music; everything from Peter Schiklely to Brahms to Brubeck, for under $10.

But wait--there's more. My plague-ridden brain is moving slower than usual, but I finally realized if retail stores are running sales on certain models, it follows these models are about to be replaced by manufacturer upgrades. So I got online and found even better deals--with free shipping and minus Tennessee's outrageous 9.5% sales tax. Musician's Friend even throws in free stuff when you buy from them. So I reasoned as follows: Look. I almost died from the Prussian Wildeflu or something. I have a birthday coming up in a couple of months. I need this keyboard. These sales won't last forever. Did I mention I almost died? Life is precious and we have to seize the moment. I found one for $100 less than the one on sale at Guitar Center. This was good enough for me.

New keyboard in 3-5 days. Hope wife won't kill me.

In the meantime enjoy this beautiful performance of Wagner's Siegfried Idyll on piano:

No comments:

Post a Comment