Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Famous Hanon

I'm currently working on Hanon's exercises, a series of piano exercises designed by Charles-Louis Hanon, designed to train you in all sorts of skills, from finger extension to finger independence. Piano teachers have sworn by these exercises forever, although some modern pianists have criticised the entire idea of exercises, saying these can stifle a student's innate musicality. Ah well, I'm not sure I have anything innate to stifle, so I don't think I'm in any danger.

But I'm enjoying the two I'm working on. There are sixty, in a little treatise called The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises, which may mean since I've learned two, I'm 1/30 of the way to becoming a virtuoso. Hoorah.

I'm still recovering from this plague I encountered, so I'm tired, so won't write much tonight. My cat is in my lap, snoring, and that sounds like a good idea. Goodnite.

No comments:

Post a Comment