Saturday, July 9, 2011

For My Own Sake, I Crash and Burn

Was supposed to attend a picnic/recital today at my Piano Teacher's place, and while I relished the chance to meet other fellow travelers, I had to pass. I performed four hours of fast-paced readings and other miracles last night in a loud, noisy club until 2 AM, and woke up today achy and tired, and I have to do it again tonight. So I slept very late, ran necessary errands, and made myself ready for the second half of the gig tonight. It's a very enjoyable gig, it's just been a long time since I've worked a busy, noisy environment for such a long stretch. It's taking a while to catch my stride. Tonight will be busier and louder, but I'll be more accustomed to it.

But I did practice, and incremental progress seeps into my calcified brain. I was delighted that many of the rough spots in Cristofori are working themselves out, and that The Entertainer is coming along, and I even have memorized fairly consistently the first 3 1/2 (out of five) pages of Music of the Night. I do wish I felt better but if I tried to perform this afternoon, I'm afraid on top of the strain of tonight, it would be too much.

In other news I've acquired a Theremin, which is arriving Monday, so I'll have something to occupy my mind while waiting on my new Piano (which is scheduled for delivery Wednesday by end of day). I'm wagering on END OF DAY, like around 7:0o PM, so as the Gods of Chaos can eke every morsel of enjoyment from my suffering. My new Theremin was acquired through a complex three-way negotiation which would require a flowchart to describe. It looks like the picture to the left:


The new Piano has a USB-to-Computer connection, and an on-board recorder with SD chip, so I'll be able to record my progress. If the result isn't too appalling, I'll post the samples here. I've never been able to get the MIDI-to-computer connection to work, I think because I lack proper software. An on-board SD chip will make transferring files a cinch. All I gotta do is move the chip from the piano to the computer and et voila--the deed is done. I hope. Procedures which seem to work effortlessly for some people can quite often frustrate my best attempts for weeks. Tech support at Microsoft now know me on a first-name basis and due to many hundreds of hours spent on the phone with same, I can understand fluent Hindu-English. Of course I had many years of practice deciphering Southern English, which really isn't all that different.

I can also apparently upload music files to play while I practice. If this actually works, it should greatly accelerate my learning curve. In addition, unlike my previous Digital Piano the Celviano has an on-board Metronome,which will be very cool on the frequent occasions I have to practice in Silent-with-headphones mode so as not to enrage the neighbors at 3 AM, or wake up wife, which is worse, as she lives close enough to bludgeon me into unconsciousness with one of the heavier Buddha statues we have scattered through the apartment.

Another technical finesse I've learned is that playing piano (soft) passages doesn't necessarily mean you strike the keys with wimpy strokes. I find if I do this, I drop out notes, especially on a piano with heavy keys. What I found out is if you maintain a firm finger and press slower, you fully depress the key. The same firmness applies to forte (strong) playing but the stroke velocity is faster.

I spoke to a lady who plays piano fairly well, but she doesn't read sheet music. I wonder how you learn a new piece without reading music? Playing by ear I understand, but some pieces have complex chords and passages. Is it possible to listen to a piece over and over and figure out all the chords by yourself? I suppose, but what a long and hard way that would be. I also observed many people watch YouTube videos and learn that way. The very thought of that makes me tired and wanting a sandwich.

It took me a couple of months to learn to read music, and it really wasn't that hard once you understand the "alphabet," so I wonder why more people don't learn this second language. Seems like it would make things a lot easier. But people are pretty resourceful so I suppose whatever works. That sandwich sounds pretty good; think I'll sign off and make one.

No comments:

Post a Comment