Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New York is Cool

Just returned from five days in new York, where, among other adventures, wife & I saw Phantom of the Opera. The music was okay mostly (with occasional ascensions into loveliness) but the staging was spectacular. The staging was like watching a very good illusion show with theatrical content. The scenery transformed before your eyes from the backstage dressing rooms to the phantom's undercellar dungeon lair within seconds. It was true theatrical magic.

Five days and nights without my piano was grueling at times. I found myself playing an imaginary keyboard on the edges of tables and on my knee. Unfortunately, my portable keyboard, a roll-up keyboard (see below) was due to arrive the day after I was to leave on my trip, which did me no good on this foray into the Big City. Alas.

It was good to see my New York contingent of friends. Being involved in the wacky world of show business, I literally have friends all over the universe. We had a get-together which lasted around five or six hours where we all caught up and talked shop. It was, as I said before, very cool. I love that city.

No comments:

Post a Comment