Monday, May 17, 2010

More Bach and Further Progression

I continue to work on the Bach Minuet in G, and probably will be working on it for a while. In the meantime, I laid to rest the two Alfred's lessons O Solo Mio and Auld Lang Syne and moved on to Greensleeves, which introduced a very cool half-pedal technique which I wished I had known earlier.

I don't know if I have any real interest in ever playing for other people--I perform for a living, you see, and not sure if I relish the idea of retiring from show business, and then parading a new skill. But I am achieving my goals of understanding music better. For example, the bass line of the Minuet in G develops a theme by itself, which forms a counterpoint to the melody played by the right hand, and you can't really see this unless you play it for yourself. At least, I didn't fully understand it until I played it, and I must have heard that piece at least a hundred times.

It's got some tough passages, which I'm wrestling with, but it's more fun than I've had in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment