Monday, May 10, 2010

Johann Sebastian Bach Meets Jon Saint Germain

As I related in the very first posting in this series, the very first piece of Classical Music I fell in love with was Bach's Second Brandenburg Concerto.

I recently purchased a splendid compilation of music, one apparently (if my research and readings are accurate) much beloved by many: Volume 17 of Easy Classics for Moderns. This particular volume compiles works by various masters in their original form, not the simpled-down version you find in lesson books--like Alfred's. These are reasonably easy to play pieces by such composers as Telemann, Mozart, Chopin, Bach (several of the Bachs, in fact) and many others.

So today I began work on the Minuet in G by old Johann, my first real Bach piece. This is for me an historic moment.

I'm just past four months into my lessons and I've met one of my favorite composers. This is just so very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment