Monday, June 28, 2010

The Home Stretch

I'm just finishing my first six months of lessons. I'm also entering the home stretch of Volume one of Alfred's Adult Piano Course. I just finished the A Minor section and next Monday we begin the last section, D Minor. There are three pieces to learn, then I'm finished. VOlume One can go on the shelf.

After that--Volume Two. Which is Second Year. Hoorah!

I really try to keep my nose to the grindstone, but life interferes. Nevertheless, I make progress. I hope this progress sticks with me. My sight-reading continues to improve steadily (as long as I'm not too tired) and my keyboard dexterity is improving rapidly. I learned to do those nifty flourishes (called Mordants or Turns) the Baroque guys loved for the Minuet in G. So I think all is going well. I just truly wish I had begun ten years ago, or that I had more time to practice.

But I am tired. I mean deeply tired. The kind of tiredness that's in the soul. I badly need a vacation or something to delight my spirit. An Epiphany. Something which refreshes the heart and mind.

Is there any magic left in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment