Friday, February 19, 2010

On the Prowl

I'm out of town on business for a few days, in my hometown of Knoxville, Tennessee. I think I'll prowl around some of the shops here looking for a used keyboard with hammered keys. It's quite possible I'll find one at a reasonable price if I'm diligent. I really like the feel of a "real " piano and I need the practice to build my finger strength and technique. My music is also calling more and more for both piano and forte --soft and loud--playing, and alas, my simple electronic keyboard has only one tone. When I bought it, I was unsophisticated in the ways of electric pianos, and assumed it would be a while before I would require a more sophisticated instrument.

Playing on a real piano once a week during my lessons is a bit disadvantageous because I find I like the feel of real keys. In comparison, the keys of my cheaper keyboard are spongy and unsatisfying. Yes, I think it's time for an upgrade. But buying a new 88 key, hammered, touch-sensitive electric piano, well, we're talking some serious money. I guess the real question, which I'm simultaneously circumventing, elucidating and entertaining, is: am I in this for the long haul?

Five weeks may be too soon to tell, but there is no denying I have a lifetime passion for music.

I'm looking for a sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment