Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Midway for the Midlife Guy

After last night's practice session, I noticed I attained the halfway mark in Book One of my Alfred's Lesson Course. On this momentous occasion, we finished up the "G" position and moved on to the "C" Position. This rather cramped location on the keyboard relocates you with both thumbs on Middle C. A bit awkward, but the fingering for some of the sample pieces are rather elegant, especially for the Sharps and Flats. I began practicing from an actual songbook.

The used copy of the Pop Hits Songbook I purchased from Amazon for the bargain price of $3,95 has stickers next to some of the songs. Now come on--this is the ADULT course. The arrangements are supposedly a bit more challenging than the children's course.

But the HALF-WAY point. Hoorah, I think I'll celebrate somehow. Open to suggestions. Maybe I'll buy some stickers.

At various points in the Lesson book--on the bottom of the page--are encouraging footnotes: "You are now ready to begin (various suggested supplementary publication)." Of course, I went through the Lesson book, logged onto Amazon, and got them all. I lugged my huge haul of Alfred publications to my lesson to consult with Teacher to see what tunes I could tackle. She was really impressed with the twenty pounds of literature I had amassed. She told me she never had a student who actually bought all the recommended literature. I guess I'm what you call a motivated student. Either that or obsessive/compulsive. What's the difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment