Monday, October 4, 2010

SOLO Piano

It's quite possible I may be the only musician in my knowledge who never intends to play with any other musician, or for anyone else. I do this for an audience of one: myself. I have no interest, intention or desire to perform music for other people. I don't crave the applause of other people. I've had plenty of that in my life, and it ain't all it's cracked up to be. There's a price you pay for it, believe me.

I've loved music all my life and always wanted to study it, to take it apart piece by piece and understand it better. That's what this is about; taking a piece of music I love and looking at it from the inside out. To get inside the composer's mind and feel what he or she felt when they wrote it.

My teacher asked me if I've played anything for anyone yet and I said "No." She said I had a couple of pieces I could play, but I said I couldn't perform them well enough yet, and besides, I had no interest in playing for anyone else.

People have expressed curiosity about my progress and suggested I record my playing and post it. I even bought a midi cord to do this very thing. Then I struggled with midi programs and realized, "Why bother--I know where I'm heading with this. And do I need to hear the comments and (I'm sure) well-meaning critiques of others?"

No. Not really. This is something I'm doing for me. It's mine.

If I let other people into it, it would spoil it. I'll write about the process, because I find it fascinating, but the music itself--that's all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment