Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Not a Good Night

Though I've made a lot of progress in my note-and-interval recognition, and looked forward to impressing Teacher with my progress, my well-laid plans were knocked askew on the way to class tonight when I had a minor fender-bender a couple of blocks from my home.

You see, I decided to eschew the Bloomington Transit system and drive to class, so we rescheduled them for after-hours when on-the-street parking was a little more feasible. Unfortunately, this plunged me into the rush-hour traffic, and the weather was a bit slippery. Traffic was flowing along. A chap stopped short in front of me (he later told me the guy in front of him stopped abruptly). I had no time to stop, although I stomped my brake. Wham, I collided into his rear end. No-one was hurt, but the grill to my car cracked apart.

So I was fifteen minutes late for my class, alas, but I called Teacher on my cell-phone telephone and explained the situation and she said she'd wait. After only one circuit of the block, I found parking right outside the music building. Unfortunately, I also found the incident completely fried my poor brain. All my progress seemed to have been locked away in some closet, and I couldn't access it. The notes in my lesson book looked foreign and strange to me. Worse, my hands were frozen from standing in the bitter cold for thirty five minutes while the accident report was filled out. As circulation returned, my fingers tingled with pins-and-needles like your foot does when it awakens from having fallen asleep.

So I didn't make much of the lesson, but I think I absorbed some of it. Actually toward the end I think I did get back in the groove. I came home and called the insurance agent to make the report. Then I practiced my keyboard for an hour.

So tonight I'm a bit despondent. I'll probably feel better tomorrow when I find out more and my mind clears up.

Plus I think I have that cold that's going around. Whine moan grumble.

No comments:

Post a Comment