Friday, March 23, 2012

Primavera

I'm juggling five paintings, three of them part of a tryptich for end-term, one a giant multi-figure composition, also for end-term, and the fourth an in-class assignment. I have a hired model for the multi-figure, with whom I'm working after-hours. My friend Tom is modelling for the tryptich, and the in-class model handles those duties.

Italian seems to be going well, so far, and Art History is no problem. That class is too easy. I sometimes forget I'm taking it at all and fall asleep during it. The tests seems so easy I think they must be deceptions, and I look for potholes and hidden mines. But this is because I took Art History before and I know most of this already man.

I drew a giant 7' x 4' nude in drawing class in about two hours, and called it Giant Dave.

I think all the painting is going to pay off, but I have numerous shows in April and wonder what's going to happen When Worlds Collide.

3 comments:

  1. I'd probably name it High Fructose Corn Syrup: Repose.

    But then Giant Dave would get mad and sit on me and it'd be all over.

    I've read most of your blog here because I am also learning the piano at age 50. Or, I turn 50 this year, anyway. I've been going to Guitar Center and messing around on their keyboards, and doing some hand exercises that you can do on a table or desk. Sadly, no teacher for me, but I'm watching a lot of stuff on YouTube. The curved fingers and all that. I can't believe that in a year, you went from scales to that part of The Entertainer you put up here. Wow, just wow.

    I can tell you playing by ear is a much more prevalent disease than you'd suspect. I'll be learning the "bugs" because .... Well, I'm thinking here... I think it's something that I'm supposed to do to be a "real" musician. I guess they're useful for learning new music if you've not heard it? And making sure people play symphonies exactly right. But some instruments, you have to essentially play by ear because you have to have the right note in your mind first to do anything. Trumpet and violin are like this, and especially that theremin of yours.

    I'm keeping a blog too, but unlike yours, mine is boring. For instance, my latest flabbergasting discovery is, every white key just before two blacks ones is a C. Every one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha yes! Also every white key before THREE black ones is an 'F.' Memory tip is C is chopsticks (2 prongs) F is fork (3 prongs). Good luck Alex, the calcified 50ish brain does soften with practice.

      Delete
  2. In Dave's present condition, it's hard to tell if Dave is indeed "giant"

    Purty picher tho.

    Timmy

    ReplyDelete