Friday, October 14, 2011

New Beginnings

As I put the finishing touches on THE ENTERTAINER (not quite mastered it yet, but have learned the entire opus, and am polishing the final two sections with laser-like diligence) Teacher and I set out to make a plan.We will finish out the year going over Cristofori's Dream line by line, polishing out the lumps, and I'll place it and The Entertainer on the practice list, and then we'll start on a new and exciting piece of music. I found a piano transcription, by none other than Camille Saint-Saens, of one of my favorite Bach pieces: The Sinfonia to Cantata Number 29. I first heard this in the 9th or 10th Grade I think, on an album of Bach pieces, and it has remained dear to me. It puts me in a happy place. Bach must have loved it too, as he recycled the piece at least a couple of times, as a Viola Partita and as a Lute Sonata.

I've included two videos here, both the original organ presentation of the Sinfona and the Saint-Saens piano transcription. I look forward to tackling this. I suppose it will take me a year or so to be able to play it at all. How long it will take to play it skillfully--who knows. But I love this piece so much I'm a highly motivated learner.








1 comment:

  1. Oh my!! That is a challenging piece. Very moving. I listened to the piano piece first and enjoyed it, but nothing compared to how the piece played on the organ. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete